Drop into the Design Museum on 11 June for an afternoon of activities in the garden! Discover the new intergenerational learning and research space in the Dame Sylvia Crowe Garden and take part in gardening workshops and activities to help you find ways to bring green spaces big and small to life!
Date: Sunday 11 June, 2pm-5pm(GMT)
Venue: the Design Museum, 224-238 Kensington High St, London W8 6AG
Tickets: Free / Pay what you can
Growing Together is a research project between the Design Museum, Design Age Institute, and the Lightbulb Trust, which engages older adults and young people in Kensington & Chelsea and Westminster to rethink and remake the Dame Sylvia Crowe garden at the Museum. Over the past year, groups have worked with designers from Public Works to help establish an inclusive and intergenerational learning and research space that will support visitors to learn about and raise awareness of sustainable design and horticulture practices, biodiversity, biodesign and climate action.
The Dame Sylvia Crowe garden had been abandoned since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic. In Autumn 2022, a volunteer gardening cohort of local older adults was established to co-design and co-steward the site.
Drop into the Design Museum on 11 June 2023 to explore the garden and meet the volunteers! Event details are below.
- 14:00 – Opening
- 14:10 – Meet Growing Together: Guided Walk in the garden with the volunteers.
- 14:30 – Join ‘Designing your Shady Garden’, a short talk with specialist gardener Susanna Grant.
- 15:00 – Take part in ‘Design your bird feeder’, an intergenerational workshop and ‘Herbs and Wellbeing’, a workshop with Hackney Herbal (attendees must be 18+).
- 16:00 – Join ‘Designing your Shady Garden’, a short talk with specialist gardener Susanna Grant.
- 16:30 – Join our ‘Public Reading Time: The Virago Book of Women Gardeners’.
- 17:00 – Event ends.
This event is open to all ages – children must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
The garden is located to the north of the museum adjacent to Holland Park. Please ask a member of staff for guidance if necessary on the day of your visit.
Spaces are limited, please pre-book your ticket online. You can pick to attend the 14:00 to 15:30 session or 15:30 to 17:15.