£50-£70k funding available
Deadline: May 15, 2023
Do you have an inspirational, life-enhancing idea, prototype, or plan to reimagine how personal mobility options in the UK can better support a rapidly ageing population to stay connected, active, and independent for longer?
If so, we want to hear from you! Submit an application to Design Age Institute's new Mobility Pathfinder Innovation Programme, with between £50-£70k available per project. Interested applicants are encouraged to attend our upcoming virtual briefing session at 11am (GMT) on Tuesday 28 March, introducing the programme.
- Check your eligibility at the bottom of this page to access the full application form and submit your application by 12:00pm (GMT) on Monday 15 May 2023.
- Read the Application Notes and Terms & Conditions for details on what we can and cannot fund
About the Programme
Funded by the UKRI Healthy Ageing Challenge, part of Innovate UK, the UK’s innovation agency, Design Age Institute’s Mobility Pathfinder Innovation Programme invites innovators, businesses and entrepreneurs from across the UK to propose personal mobility solutions at ideation stage or beyond that are commercially viable, demonstrate creativity and innovation, and can be supported towards market by investment in good design.
Maintaining personal mobility is essential to preventing loss of ability and ensuring we can live independently and stay connected as we age.
There is a pressing need for innovation and scalable approaches that can meet the increasing demand for multiple transport options that are safe, affordable, sustainable and desirable.
Whether on foot or on wheels, seated or standing , good design has the potential to help transform how we socialise, work, and navigate the cities, towns, offices, neighbourhoods and homes of our future selves.
Please subscribe to our mailing list to receive the latest updates and opportunities from Design Age Institute.
What Design Age Institute provides
The Mobility Pathfinder Innovation Programme, builds on Design Age Institute’s successful Pathfinder Innovation Programme, which supports innovators to find a route to market for products and services using seed-funding for design interventions alongside design management support and mentoring.
Awardees will receive:
- Funding of between £50k - £70k* to support projects towards market
- Design management support and mentoring (not project management) from our team of experts in design for healthy ageing. The role of the Institute's Design Management team is to advise, scope and facilitate the design process. They are from a design background but do not provide design services on the programme. Your proposed budget must allocate funds for design activities including any design consultancy required.
- Access to existing research, exclusive insights into the healthy ageing marketplace, and peer-networking
- Skills development and training opportunities
- Support to run two research development sessions with end users
* Note that while £70k is the maximum that can be applied for, we are looking for a breadth of entries on cost, and value for money will be a key assessment criterion.
** Note that VAT is excluded from the seed funding and cannot be claimed by awardees.
Applicants are encouraged to attend our virtual briefing session on Tuesday 28 March 11am (GMT) and to attend one of two application support workshops. Workshops will be held in person at the Royal College of Art in Battersea on Tuesday 25 April 2023 2-4pm (GMT) and online on Wednesday 10 May 2023 2pm-4pm (GMT).
- Click here to book for the In Person Session: 25 April 2023, 2-4pm
- Click here to book for the Online Session: 10 May 2023, 2-4pm
Who can apply
If you are a business, innovator or entrepreneur with an idea that has the potential to positively impact personal mobility for an ageing population at scale, and help to change the narrative on ageing, Design Age Institute can help you to successfully tap into the UK’s growing healthy ageing marketplace.
We are keen to work with companies, organisations, entrepreneurs and start-ups based in and operating in the UK. We welcome applications from people in all sectors and backgrounds regardless of a track record in business or entrepreneurship.
Check your eligibility
If you meet the minimum eligibility criteria you will be invited to access the full application form and submit your application by 12:00pm (GMT) on Monday 15 May 2023.
Please fully read the Application Notes and Terms & Conditions for details on project parameters, applicant eligibility, and assessment criteria.
If you have any questions please contact Melanie Andrews, Design Manager at [email protected]
Find out more about Design Age Institute
Meet our team of experts in the About Us section, and find out about our current Pathfinder Projects.
You can also follow us @DesignAge_ on Twitter, Instagram & LinkedIn and sign up to receive all the latest news and opportunities from Design Age Institute at the bottom of this page.